It’s not uncommon for people to put links in their Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn posts and comments. Instagram is also a social media platform, so why not put a link in there.
Unfortunately, unlike other social networks, Instagram does not allow you to add a clickable link in a caption and comment. But surely, there has to be some way to attach a link for your followers. That’s where the Instagram link in bio option comes to your rescue.
By putting links in your Instagram bio, you can instruct your followers via stories or posts to click the link and thus visit your desired website directly from the Instagram app.
Case in point: Instagram influencer Violet Summers uses the link in bio Instagram trick to boost sales of products she endorses.
But how to put a link in Instagram bio, you ask? Let’s walk you through the steps.
Table of Contents
How to Add a Link to Your Bio From the Instagram App
- Open the Instagram mobile app on your device.
- Press the profile option on the bottom left part of the screen. It is highlighted by your Instagram profile picture inside a tiny circle.
- You will see an option that reads “Edit Profile.” Choose this option. It will take you to the screen where you can edit your profile picture, username, bio, and website or landing page.
- In front of the website portion, insert the website link by either copy-pasting it or typing it from scratch.
- Tap the “Done” button on the top right-hand corner of your screen. The link to your website will now show up underneath your bio on your profile.
Your followers can now go to your profile, click on your link, and visit your website. If your account is public, all Instagram users will be able to check out the link from your profile.
How to Add a Link to Your Bio From Desktop
- Load up www.Instagram.com on your preferred web browser.
- In the top right corner of the web page, you will find your profile picture inside a small circle. Click that and then choose the profile option from the drop-down menu to go to your profile.
- Click the Edit Profile button. You will see the options to alter your picture, name, website, and bio.
- On the website field, enter your website link manually or copy-paste it.
- Click the “Submit” button found at the bottom of the page, and you are good to go.
How to Use Links in Bio to Drive Traffic
So, you just added a link to your Insta bio! Congratulations! But the hard part starts now: how to grow your business on Instagram through the link in the bio feature?
Once your website links are in place, it’s time to move to the next step: generating traffic through the link in your Instagram bio technique. Simply having your link in your bio is unlikely to be enough to attract people to your website, which means no conversions or sales.
You will have to grow your Instagram followers, inform them about the link in your bio, and ask them to check out the said link.
You can do this in many ways:
1. Instagram Stories
Use the stories feature on the Instagram app to announce that you’ve added a link in your bio. For example, you could post a picture or make a fun video in which you briefly make the announcement and encourage your followers to check out the link. You can even add fun stickers and GIFs to the story to make it more appealing to your followers.
2. Story Highlights
Once your story has been uploaded, you could choose to display it as a story highlight on your profile. This means that when users visit your Instagram profile, they will see an option to view selected stories even after their 24-hour view period has ended. You can use story highlights to display previously shared stories of things, such as:
- Important events
- Menus and catalogs
- Reviews from customers
- PR and collaborations with influencers
Story highlights will help new followers understand your brand and stay updated about your products and services.
In addition to GIFs and regular stickers, Instagram is all set to introduce link stickers. This feature will replace the swipe-up option on stories that allow users to visit website links directly from stories by swiping up.
The swipe-up option was only available for people with at least 10,000 Instagram followers. Let’s see if the social media platform retains the same condition for link stickers. However, beta tests conducted by Instagram in the summer suggest that it may be available for all.
Link stickers will be more convenient to access websites for most users compared to visiting someone’s bio and clicking on the link from there.
Instagram Shop allows you to grow your sales by uploading your desired catalog of products to the app. This will allow users to browse your company’s products and even purchase them right from the app. That means Instagram Shop serves as a preview of your company website.
Instagram gives its users various ways to promote their websites, and one of the effective ones is sponsored posts. You can use this option to make your website appear in the feed of Instagram users.
Using this option, you can promote stories about your products or brand, which will appear in between stories when users tap to view the next stories on their queue.
In sponsored posts, Instagram allows the creator to attach a link to a post. The viewer can then simply press the “Learn More” button to visit the website straight from within the app.
Instagram is a powerful social media app that gives small businesses flexibility in promoting their content, products, and services to their target customers. Use the link in bio technique and other strategies discussed in this post to boost your sales and create more brand awareness.