Given its recent popularity and potential to reach more people, it may be an unusual method, but people would deactivate or close their Instagram accounts. If you want to close your Instagram account (be it a personal, a professional or a brand that you manage kind of account), you would most likely have doubts about the consequences of closing it. You would even wonder if there’s a difference between deactivating and closing it.
Just like what happens when you want to delete a Facebook account, unsubscribing and removing any trace of your Instagram activity is not something you should do without being completely secure first.
Deleting an account on Instagram is definitely not an entirely intuitive procedure, and you may even regret it later. First of all, you have to think about it thoroughly. There are many professionals who struggle every day to keep their accounts active and to prevent the platform itself from closing due to violating any of the Instagram policies.
Deactivating vs closing or deleting an Instagram account
Before starting this process, here are a few reminders:
- This action can only be done from a computer.
- If you have not yet decided to delete your Instagram account permanently, you have the option to deactivate it or, as they call it, ‘temporarily disable’ it.
Unlike the option to close an account, with the option to deactivate it, you will no longer appear in searches and the content of your account will not be visible to any other user.
How to deactivate an Instagram account
To deactivate your account (and not just log out of Instagram), follow these steps:
- Log in to your Instagram account from a computer.
- Click on your user profile to access the overview.
- Click on the box where you can read ‘Edit profile’.
- In the column on the right, your basic information will be displayed and, at the bottom, the option of ‘Temporarily disable my account’ will appear.
- Select the reason that you think best explains why you chose to remove your Instagram account from the following drop-down menu.
- Enter your password again and confirm that you want to continue with the process.
As you can see, there is no option that, which is easily visible, allows you to turn off Instagram, but you can only do it by going around it.
In this case, remember that you can re-activate and use your account whenever you want. It will be enough with you to initiate a new session. But if you’re having second thoughts in deleting your Instagram profile and you just want to reboot your account’s strategy to reach more followers, then try signing up for a SimplyGram free trial to our Instagram growth service.
How to remove or delete an Instagram account
If you are completely convinced that you will not use a certain profile again (meaning that you will no longer have any Instagram activity), either because you don’t know what to post on Instagram or for any other reason, it is best that you permanently delete your account. Thus, you will ensure that the information is deleted, although it is possible that some parts of your information will remain in the company’s database (though, without identifying you specifically).
As for how to delete your Instagram account, although it is possible to do so, this option will not be found in your profile as in the case of deactivation. So, how can you unsubscribe to Instagram? Well, what you have to do is the following:
- Access Instagram’s ‘Help’ option. You can find this link at the bottom of the page, along with many other options.
- Once inside, type in the search engine ‘delete account’, or a similar phrase that reflects your willingness to leave Instagram.
- You will be shown several reasons and you must open the one that best suits this process (usually the first one).
- At this point, you will access the instructions to remove your Instagram account. Specifically, you will be asked to click on a link, which will also ask you why you want to leave Instagram, in addition to offering you the possibility to temporarily disable the account instead of deleting it.
- When selecting one of the reasons, they will provide you with a series of tips to try to convince you that it is best that you stay and do not choose to delete your Instagram account (and with good reason!).
- If, however, you wish to continue, enter your password and click on ‘Delete my account permanently’.
Remember: It is very possible that during the time you have been an active user of this social network, you have uploaded a large amount of content to your profile, especially photographs and stories. If you do not want to lose this information, and taking into account that Instagram does not offer the possibility of downloading all your photographs quickly and easily, it is best to turn to platforms such as InstaPort.
But if you’re still in the stages of thinking whether to delete or your Instagram account or not, you can try the SimplyGram free trial just to soar beyond that 5, 000 follower-count and to start loving your Instagram account again.
In short, what differentiates between the deactivation or temporary disablement and elimination of your Instagram account permanently, is that in the first case it is possible to recover it. When you want it, it will be visible again, and you will have the possibility of publishing new content to interact with your audience and continue growing your community.
Latest posts by Anne Haynes (see all)
- Get Free Instagram Followers Instantly With Our IG Growth Service Trial - September 22, 2020
- How To Get More Followers On Instagram - April 6, 2020
- Every Little Thing You Need To Know About Instagram Quick Replies: The Most Complete Guide Ever! - June 5, 2019