Like on other social media apps, on Instagram, it is up to you to decide who to follow. But sometimes, you don’t wish to see some persons’ stories or posts in your Instagram account, and that too without them knowing. For this, you don’t need to unfollow or block them. You can simply mute their story on Instagram. The app’s user-friendly characteristics make it easier to carry out different functions, including muting and unmuting Instagram stories from people you follow.
Table of Contents
How to Unmute Someone Story on Instagram
Unmuting someone’s story can help boost Instagram reach. The people behind the account will be notified that you have watched their story, and they may reciprocate.
For your great reach, you can also explore more strategies about how to get Instagram followers and supercharge your growth.
If you have changed your mind after muting someone, this article will take you through some simple steps to unmute story on Instagram.
Open the Instagram app on your mobile phone or tablet, then choose any of the given ways for how to unmute someone’s story on Instagram.
Option 1: Going to the Muted Story on the Homepage
- Swipe left at the top of your feed to scroll towards the end of Instagram’s stories timeline.
- Here, all the mute stories appear in gray, unlike the other normal (unmuted) stories with a colorful ring around them.
- Tap and hold the account you wish to watch stories for, and a pop-up menu will appear at the bottom of the page.
- Tap on ‘Unmute story’ from the two options in the menu. The account’s story is now instantly visible on your story feed.
Option 2: Going to the Person’s Profile
- Visit the account you want to unmute stories for and locate the ‘following’ button. Tap on the button to open a pop-up menu.
- Tap on ‘Mute’ in the list, and it will direct you to another menu. Disable the toggle button next to the stories by tapping on it. It turns blue (on) to gray (off).
Another way is to simply press the story icon in the top left corner of their profile. Then tap the dotted icon at the top right. Select ‘Unmute story’.
Option 3: Through the Settings on Your Account
- Go to your profile and click on the three-lined icon in the top right corner that opens a menu at the bottom.
- Select the first option, ‘Settings’, from the list. Now tap on Privacy in the sub-menu.
- Click on ‘Muted accounts’ under the ‘Connections’ category.
- You will see the account(s) you have muted and whether you have hidden their posts, stories, or both.
- Tap on the account to visit the profile. Go to the ‘following’ button and tap on it. Select ‘Mute’ from the menu that appears on the screen.
- Tap on the toggle button(s) that are switched on (blue) to allow the person’s posts and stories to appear on your Instagram feed.
For the Old Version of Instagram
If you haven’t updated your Instagram app yet, then you might not be able to unmute someone’s story through the steps stated above. Don’t worry; we have got you covered. Using an older version of Instagram, you can follow these steps to unhide someone’s content.
Go to the person’s profile you had muted the stories for. Tap on ‘Unmute’ located next to the note ‘You have muted [user name] ‘s story’ written below the person’s bio and above the highlights. You can now view their story on your feed.
Hopefully, you would have easily understood (and applied) the steps to unmute Instagram stories. You can now mute or unmute someone anytime without much hassle.