Have you saved an Instagram post to drafts but don’t know how to find it again? You are not alone. Many social media users, be they novices or experienced influencers, were never able to locate their saved drafts on Instagram on the first try. That is because the platform doesn’t have a specific drafts button/link on the homepage. And let’s face it, the smartphone app is mostly composed of icons rather than labeled buttons.
Despite these navigational issues, don’t worry that your Instagram drafts disappeared; they are still there. It is quite easy to find them once you know how. But before we get to that, let us understand what exactly those drafts are.
Table of Contents
What Are Instagram Drafts?
Imagine you just got an idea for a post. After carefully creating the content, you upload it. But at that point, you realize that you haven’t thought about the caption yet. You have somewhere to go presently, so you decide to publish the post later. Soon after you tap the ‘X’ icon on the top left corner, a pop-up is displayed asking, “Save as Draft?” If you select the ‘Save Draft’ option, then your post will be saved as is for you to access later. But where can you find the Instagram draft posts after saving those?
How to Find Your Instagram Drafts on Android?
The Instagram app on Android is full of icons which may confuse a newbie. And finding the drafts section may just seem well-nigh impossible. That’s why we are here to help you out.
- Open your Instagram app and tap ‘+’ to add a new post. Don’t worry, you won’t be actually adding one.
- Select the “Post” option from the dropdown menu.
- Thumbnails of all your published posts will be shown at the bottom, with the image of your newest post enlarged above. You can find the “Drafts” button nestled between the two toward the right.
- Tap it to view all your Instagram saved drafts on Android.
How to Find Your Instagram Drafts on iOS?
The process of finding Instagram drafts on iOS is similar to that on Android. The only difference is in the third step. The “Drafts” button is still present between the post thumbnails and the enlarged post, but it is on the left instead of the right.
How to Make Edits to an Instagram Draft?
Now that you know where are drafts on Instagram, you can either delete, edit, or directly publish those to share with your followers on Instagram. Editing a draft is just like making the required tweaks while creating a post.
- Open the drafts folder as mentioned in the previous sections.
- Tap the draft that you want to edit from the list of thumbnails.
- The “Edit” button can be found on the top right corner of the page that gets loaded. Select it to start editing your post.
- Once you have made the required edits, you can tap “Post” to publish your image/video.
Remember, you cannot edit the draft after selecting the “Post” button. You will have to delete the post and create a new one from scratch. So, double-check that you have made all the needed edits before posting the content.
How to Delete an Instagram Draft on Android?
Let’s say that you get a lot of content ideas every day, but only a select few are worth posting on Instagram. You may have tried to implement all those ideas and saved them as drafts on the platform. Thus, your number of Instagram draft posts may have piled up over time if you don’t delete the unnecessary ones. And did you know that those drafts are saved on your phone, consuming a lot of memory? In order to free up storage space, you need to discard all the unused drafts. Here’s how you can go about doing it.
- Open the drafts folder again on your Android phone (open the Insta app → tap the ‘+’ icon, → tap “Drafts”).
- Select the “Manage” option on the page. Alternatively, you can also find the “Manage” button on the ‘+’ icon’s page, just beside the “Drafts” button.
- Click the “pencil” icon (present in the top right corner) to open the editing page.
- Tap the draft which you want to delete. Long tap once to select multiple Instagram saved drafts on Android.
- Tap the “tick” icon found at the bottom of the page.
- Select the “Discard” option from the pop-up menu to complete deleting the drafts.
Keep in mind that the drafts are permanently deleted after discarding those. And since they were saved on your phone and not on the app’s server, the Instagram support staff wouldn’t be able to recover the files for you. If you feel like you may need the drafts in the future, do NOT discard those, or at least save the screenshot of the post before deleting it.
How to Delete an Instagram Draft on iOS?
The process of deleting drafts on iOS is more or less similar to that on Android, with slight changes in the steps. Have your Instagram drafts disappeared on your iPhone in the following way?
- Tap the ‘+’ icon to open your Instagram posts.
- Tap the “Manage” option present near the “Drafts” button.
- Instead of the “pencil” icon like in Android, there will be an “Edit” button in the top right corner of the iOS app. Tap it.
- Open the draft that you would like to delete, or long-press the one draft to select multiple items.
- Instead of the “tick” icon as on Android, you need to tap the “Done” button on iOS.
- Select “Discard Posts” to confirm the deletion of the selected drafts on Instagram on your iPhone.
That’s it from our end! You know the answer to the question – where are drafts on Instagram? You also know how to edit and delete those drafts on both Android and iPhone. Sharing or publishing them is the same as publishing a new post. After making the edits, adding filters, and writing captions, simply tap the “tick” icon on Android or the “Share” button on iOS to successfully upload the draft to your Instagram feed.